Despite the use of a CPAP or Ventilator Humidifier, some mask users still continue to suffer from the unpleasant issue of a dry mouth, which can also cause interrupted sleep and sometimes unnecessary bathroom trips, as people often have to turn to drinking water during the night to try to ease this problem. Even more importantly, is the fact that a dry mouth can lead to tooth decay and gum disease, which is why it's so important to prevent this.
The air from the CPAP or Ventilator can cause dry mouth problems, but also bear in mind that a lot of medications people need to take for various medical conditions are also responsible - as are certain medical conditions themselves, like Sjögren's Syndrome and Diabetes etc., so the air pressure in the mask tends to exacerbate this.
Positive News for Acid Reflux and Gerd from a study (and having been supplying these a while, we know this is true as several customers have told us of the shock improvements to their acid reflux since taking these for dry mouth, so this was a pleasant surprise). Click on this link to read the study https://www.omicsonline.org/open-access/effect-on-acid-reflux-symptoms-occurring-during-sleep-of-an-oraladhering-disc-containing-only-food-ingredients-2161-069X-1000524.pdf
How XyliMelts Can Help.....
XyliMelt Discs can really help to alleviate a dry mouth as the discs can be used during sleep and they adhere firmly to the gums and teeth.
The XyliMelts slowly release their ingredients to increase saliva, thus lubricating the mouth for several hours, until they eventually dissolve.
Additionally, the ingredient (Xylitol may also help prevent tooth decay, which is probably why dentists are recommending XyliMelts to their own patients).
Xylitol is already used for treating children with middle ear infections, as a sugar substitute for diabetics and in dentistry, and there are no known side effects in humans. However, PLEASE BE AWARE THAT XYLITOL IS POISONOUS TO DOGS (just like other foods like grapes are which are fine for humans) so always be careful where you store them.
The XyliMelts are sold as a Box Containing 40 Discs, and are available in Mild Mint or Mint-free.
- Acacia Gum
- Cellulose Gum
- Sodium Bicarbonate
- Magnesium Stearate
- Calcium Bicarbonate
- (Mild Natural Mint only in Mild Mint packs)
Contains only natural ingredients.
Vegans - contains no animal by-products
Gluten, Peanut and SLS Free
OraCoat's Information on XyliMelts.....
About OraCoat's XyliMelts
XyliMelts are fully-dissolving oral adhering discs whose active ingredients, Xylitol and cellulose gum, are slowly released in the mouth. They provide hours of discreet relief as the ingredients coat, moisturise, lubricate, soothe and stimulate saliva. Plus, XyliMelts adhere strongly to the teeth and gums, so they can be safely used whilst sleeping - when dry mouth is worse.
XyliMelts can also be used with CPAP machines, mandibular devices, braces and dentures, and can even be used whilst eating and drinking.
The key ingredient in XyliMelts is Xylitol, which is a natural food substance that coats the mouth to reduce plaque and tooth decay. It is a natural sweetener, which is comparable to sucrose in sweetness but contains fewer calories and fights cavities.
Benefts of Xylitol:-
- Increases saliva flow, which not only keeps your mouth moist, but helps maintain healthy teeth and reduces bad breath.
- Reduces plaque and tooth decay - frequent use of candy with sugar or starches to relieve dry mouth promotes tooth decay.
- Coats, moisturises and lubricates along with other benefts which have been reported in published literature.
- Only negatives is they are poisonous to dogs and we keep mentioning this due to being dog lovers!
Adhering Disc Technology:-
- The tan, dimpled side discreetly sticks to gums or teeth.
- No effect on talking or appearance.
- Stays in place and safe for use during sleep.
- Allows use whilst sleeping, when saliva ﬂow is lowest, for the most effective delivery of xylitol for cavities control.
Directions for Use.....
- Place the tan coloured adhesive side of the disc on the gums or teeth on the outside of a molar, upper or lower, with the white side touching your cheek.
- Use your tongue to fine-tune the position to a comfortable spot.
- Leave the disc in place for 10 seconds. Do not touch it with your tongue or apply pressure - just leave it still and it will start to adhere (it can be relocated by dislodging it and repositioning within the first minute). Full adhesion is achieved after 5 minutes.
- While sleeping you can use 2 discs if necessary, by placing one on each side of your mouth.
Hope2Sleep's Observations for Mask Users.....
We carried out lots of tests amongst CPAP and Ventilation users before deciding whether to stock the XyliMelts, and as well as being astounded at the positive feedback from people (including a Sjögren's Syndrome sufferer who also uses CPAP), we were amazed to hear (and experience first hand) the positive air force going through the masks didn't cause the XyliMelts to become dislodged from the gum.
It can take a bit of experimenting to decide which part of the mouth to place the discs though, and do consider which part of your mouth area the mask comes in contact with as it would be better to avoid this area. It is also worth experimenting whether you would only need to use one disc per night, or whether two would work better for you, as some mask users needed 2, yet others got good results with just 1 disc.
Whilst we don't fool ourselves into thinking every product will work for every person, for people with dry mouth issues these XyliMelts would certainly be worth a try! If you are unable to get on well with the Xylimelt discs, we do also have the XyliGel as an alternative.
Whilst there are no known side effects in humans XYLITOL IS TOXIC TO DOGS so please keep XyliMelts well away from your precious pets.
XyliMelts are not suitable for children under the age of 5 due to risk of choking.
For further tips with dry mouth issues, see the article on Tips For Problems Sleeping With CPAP or Non-Invasive Ventilation.